What Is Orthodontics?
It is that branch of dentistry that deals with the correction of teeth and jaws in the mouth. If the teeth are no longer in a straight line, the dentists can correct it with the orthodontics treatment at Toluca Lake.
Understanding the need for Orthodontics Treatment:
Crooked teeth are not only unpleasant to look but also pose dental problems later on. This is because such teeth aren’t in the proper line it becomes difficult to clean. This may result in tooth decay or cavities and even periodontal disease.
Besides that, misalignment of teeth may also cause additional stress on the chewing muscles in the mouth. This may lead to headaches, TMJ disorders, pain in the neck, back, and shoulders.
Orthodontic treatment at Toluca Lake dental clinic can help improve facial appearance.
Most important, it can contribute to healthy oral hygiene, thereby increasing the life of teeth.
How to Determine If You Need Orthodontics Treatment?
Ideally, you’d need your dentist in Toluca Lake to help assess whether or not you need orthodontics treatment. A regular visit to the dental clinic can help in this regard. Your dentist would perform a small but detailed oral examination wherein they’d know the exact positioning of your teeth and jaws.
Generally speaking, the dentists recommend orthodontics treatment if you have any of the following issues:
- Overbite, meaning the upper front teeth stick out over the lower jaw
- Underbite, meaning the lower teeth stick out way over the upper jaw
- Crossbite, meaning the upper teeth don’t fall in front of the lower teeth at the time of biting together
- Open bite, meaning there’s space between the biting surfaces of the front and side teeth when the back teeth bite together
- Misplaced midline, meaning the middle part of the upper front teeth does not align with that of the lower front teeth
- Spacing, meaning there are gaps between the teeth because of the missing tooth
- Crowding, meaning there are more teeth than can be accommodated in the dental ridge
How Can Orthodontic Treatment at Toluca Lake Help?
Your Toluca Lake dentist may suggest the following remedial measures in case of any of the above:
- Braces to help move the teeth to their proper position. They generally prove effective within a few months but may take a few years in some cases. Besides that, braces are available in bright colors to attract kids. They also come in invisible designs (Invisalign) for teens and adults. Check with your dentist for your options.
- Special fixed appliances – The dentist at Toluca Lake generally recommends this as last resort by your dentist at Toluca Lake. This is because they’re attached to the teeth via bands and can cause discomfort during eating. They’re effective in controlling thumb-sucking or tongue thrusting in children.
- Fixed space maintainers – If a milk tooth is lost earlier than expected; the dentists recommend this. These are generally for children. In this case, this appliance can be used to keep the space open until the eruption of the permanent tooth.
- Aligners – They’re a better substitute to traditional braces and highly preferred by adult patients at Toluca Lake. They’re invisible braces and can also be removed during eating, brushing, and flossing, promoting better oral hygiene.
- Jaw repositioning appliances – They’re splints. Your dentist at Toluca Lake advises this to help close the jaw better. They can be worn on either the top of the lower jaw and may be used to treat TMJ disorders.
For more assistance on orthodontics treatment Toluca Lake, call 818-483-9077 to book an appointment with Dr. Sahakyan. You can also visit the clinic for a personal consultation.