Bone Grafting: Why It’s Needed and How It Works
Bone grafting is not very common in use in the dental world. However, dental bone grafting and dental implants often go hand-in-hand. When you visit the dentist in Toluca Lake to get a dental implant, they might recommend bone grafting as well.
Need for Dental Bone Grafting
Sometimes, your Toluca Lake dentist might say that you lack the required number of healthy dental bones to support an implant. This is when bone grafting comes into play. Generally, the following factors may be responsible for the deficiency of natural healthy bones:
- Defect in bone development
- Gum disease
- Facial injury or trauma
- Empty space upon tooth extraction
- Infection in the bone socket
- Incorrect size of the lost tooth to support immediate replacement
If the dentist at My Dentist Toluca Lake comes across any such possibility, they’d suggest going in for bone grafting. It’s essentially a small, painless surgical procedure to repair or rebuild bones in the mouth. Bone tissue transplant is the process.
This means that the dentist might take a healthy bone from any other body part of donor and transplant it into your mouth. This way they can recreate the missing bone and its supporting tissues, thereby making it capable to withstand the dental implant.
How Bone Grafting Works
Efficient and professional dentists from the dental office of Bone grafting in Toluca Lake perform this. They are experts in examining whether or not your lost tooth has resulted in bone loss as well. Besides that, they’d let you know whether you really need a bone graft or not. Most importantly, they’d be happy to assist you at every step – right from consultation to surgery to post-care.
Usually, your dentist in Toluca Lake clinic suggest you three types of bone graft options:
- Socket Graft – This is the most common type of bone graft. This prevents the weakening of the alveolar bone even before it occurs. This thereby helps prevent the socket from collapsing. Following a socket graft, the dental implant can be performed within 4-6 months, depending on recovery. Most important, the graft ensures minimal post-surgery pain after the implant.
- Lateral Ridge Preservation Graft – They help expand the width of the jawbone to make enough room for a dental implant. The graft makes use of human donor bones for the procedure.
- Block Bone Graft – This is generally recommended at the Toluca Lake dental office when the staff comes across huge defects in the jawbone. The procedure depends on a small bone block taken from the backside of the jaw. Both lateral ridge preservation and block bone grafts take 4-6 months to heal, after which the patient is ready for the implant.
- Sinus Lift Procedure – This procedure makes use of the equine bone to help expand the graft. This process comes into play when the patient is in need of an implant in the upper jaw area. Usually, this region isn’t as stable to hold the implant in place on its own. This explains the need for this procedure. Healing may take almost 8-12 months.
If you’re looking for bone grafting in Toluca Lake, visit My Dentist Toluca Lake today. Call us before coming on 818-483-9077 to book an appointment with one of our expert staff members. They’d guide you through all the various options available in our clinic for bone grafting procedures. They’d also help you choose the right bone graft procedure depending on your dental implant need, as well as budget. Keep your teeth and tooth bone health for longer with our help.