Dental Crowns: What They Are and Why We Need Them?
Dental crowns or caps are the protective covering of the tooth. The experts place them over the entire visible part of the tooth lying at and over the gum line. The crown serves the purpose of protecting the tooth against further damage because of dental decay issues. Besides that, it also lends support to a weakening tooth, restoring it to normal strength and function.
Need for a Dental Crown
If your dentist in Toluca Lake notices any of the following signs, they’d recommend a dental crown to be fitted:
- Your tooth is getting weaker, possibly because of decay. A dental crown would prevent the decayed tooth from breaking off. Besides that, the cap can also provide a strong foothold to parts of a cracked tooth.
- Your tooth has already broken or is extremely worn off because of wear and tear. A dental crown will help restore such a tooth to normalcy.
- Your tooth show severe decay and your dentist feels that there isn’t enough tooth area left anymore. In this case, a dental cap that covers the tooth can help lend support to it.
- A crown can hold a dental bridge in place and cover a dental implant.
- Your teeth lose colors or are bent.
Types of Dental Crowns in Toluca Lake Clinic
My Dentist Toluca Lake offers several types of permanent dental crowns and caps. Your dentist at the clinic would help you choose the right one according to your need and pocket.
- Stainless steel crowns – These generally serve as temporary means to cover the tooth while a permanent crown is being made using another material. Steel caps are ideal for kids because they can naturally come out with the primary tooth when the latter falls off. They are also relatively cheaper than other options and don’t need multiple dental visits.
- Metal crowns – These types of dental crowns are better at withstanding biting and chewing pressures. Therefore, people expect them to last the longest. Most important, they hardly chip or break. They only lose out on the metallic color as it’s easily noticeable. They generally work well for molar teeth.
- Porcelain-fused-to-metal crowns – These crowns can be custom-made to match the color of your adjacent teeth. However, they tend to be less durable as they may easily chip or break off with wear and tear. They mostly give the appearance of natural teeth and are therefore ideal for front teeth.
- All-resin dental crowns – The advantage of these crowns is that they’re more cost-effective than their other counterparts. However, they’re still less preferred because of their tendency to wear off in due course of time. Besides that, they may be vulnerable to dental fractures too.
- All-ceramic or all-porcelain crowns – The best crowns are made with all-porcelain material. All-ceramic or all-porcelain dental crowns are recommended and used by dentists at My dentist Toluca Lake. These crowns tend to give the best possible color match than any of their other counterparts. Also, people allergic to metal enjoy such crown types, because they are not causing allergy as metal does.
Why Choose Us?
My Dentist Toluca Lake offers the best possible services for dental crowns in Toluca Lake. You may call us on 818-483-9077 to book an appointment with one of our dentists before the visit. We assure advanced smile makeovers.
Come and take advantage of expert advice from the best Toluca Lake dentist available at our clinic. They’d be happy to answer all your queries and assist you in every way possible with all your dental issues.